A Software Engineer collaborates with various team members to implement new features, improve existing products, and write awesome code for the Quizzle, myBankrate, and the Bankrate family of company websites. Quizzle has been used by over 2 million Americans to gain a complete understanding of their credit. The Software Engineer is encouraged to innovate and create one-of-a-kind software for all of Quizzle's current and future users.
Located in the heart of downtown Detroit, Quizzle has a fresh, fun, and creative environment you won’t find anywhere else. We’ve been ranked in the top of Detroit Free Press' “Best Places to Work in Michigan” List for 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014.
If you have a strong will to learn and educate and are motivated by opportunity to help grow our team, then we'd love to hear from you!
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with engineers and product owners in solving new and existing technical issues
- Understand requirements, implement designs, provide administration tools, and create documentation for specific projects
- Perform regular on-call duties
- Perform unit testing on own work and the work of others
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Follow and enhance existing development processes
- Measure and verify that new and old code has acceptable performance and scalability
- Maintain ownership of the projects assigned
- Consistently meet project deadlines
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Three (3) to five (5) years object-oriented programming experience (Python, Ruby, PHP, or similar language)
- Familiarity with open-source frameworks
- Four (4) plus years of experience in general software development methodologies
- Four (4) plus years of collaborative development experience
- Familiarity and experience with cloud-hosting and PaaS providers (AWS, Rackspace, Heroku, Google App Engine)
- Two (2) years of experience with web server management (Nginx, Apache, IIS, etc.)
- Strong experience in all aspects of the software lifecycle
- Related experience in software testing and design desired
- Team-oriented experience highly desired
- Superb attention to detail
- Born in 2008, Quizzle evolved out of a need to know about the crazy-confusing world of credit. Today Quizzle helps more than 2 million people learn about their credit, their potential for improvement, and how to use their credit to their best financial advantage.
- Using the power of technology, Quizzle has created top-notch credit tools to help consumers gain a complete understanding of their home, money, and credit.
- Quizzle is a subsidiary of Bankrate, Inc. (NYSE: RATE)
This position is located in our Detroit, Michigan office.